Experiment #6 S’mores Cupcakes
Jess CVR had a birthday and I did some recon. No fruit, no fancy. She only likes simple. So I went with S’mores. Luckily S’mores are her favorite thing ever. They were good, although I’d like to try making them again and fix the icing.
Chocolate Graham Cracker Cupcakes recipe: Martha Stewart.
This will make about 2 dozen, I halved the recipe.
– 2 ¼ cups + 2 tablespoons sugar
– 1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
– ¾ cup + 1 tablespoon cocoa powder (not Dutch-processed)
– 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
– 1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
– 1 teaspoon salt
– 2 large eggs
– 1 cup whole milk
– ½ cup vegetable oil
– 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
– 1 cup boiling water
– 1 ½ cups graham cracker crumbs (from about 20 squares)
– 1/3 cup unsalted butter, melted
– 9 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
– Preheat oven to 350°F/180°C. Line 2 standard muffin tins with cupcake liners; set aside.
– Sift 2 cups plus 2 tablespoons sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together into the bowl of an electric mixer. Using the paddle attachment, mix ingredients together on low speed.
– In a large bowl, mix together eggs, milk, oil, and vanilla. Add to flour mixture and beat on medium speed for 30 seconds. Scrape down sides of bowl and continue mixing on medium speed for 2 minutes.
– Add boiling water and stir to combine (with a spoon, not a mixer! it will splash around your kitchen); set cake batter aside.
– Place graham cracker crumbs, remaining 1/4 cup sugar, and melted butter in a large bowl; stir until well combined.
– Place 1 tablespoon graham cracker mixture into the bottom of each prepared muffin cup. Use the bottom of a small glass to pack crumbs into the bottom of each cupcake liner. Reserve remaining graham cracker mixture for topping.
– Place 2 teaspoons chocolate in each muffin cup. Transfer muffin tins to oven and bake until the edges of the graham cracker mixture is golden, about 5 minutes.
– Remove from oven and fill each muffin cup three-quarters full with cake batter.
– Sprinkle each with remaining chocolate and graham cracker mixture.
– Return to oven and bake, rotating pans halfway through baking, until tops are firm and a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean, 18 to 20 minutes.
– Transfer muffin tins to a wire rack and let cupcakes cool in pan for 10 minutes. Remove cupcakes from pan and let cool completely.
Marshmallow Frosting recipe: I didn’t really want to do this….so I used a can of fluff mized with my normal buttercream icing. Turned out just fine!
– 1 large egg white
– ½ cup sugar
– 3 tbsp water
– ½ tbsp light corn syrup
– ¼ tsp cream of tartar
– Pinch of salt
– 1 tsp vanilla extract
– In a large, clean heatproof bowl, combine the egg whites, sugar, water, corn syrup, cream of tartar, and salt.
– Set the bowl over (but not touching) simmering water in a saucepan and heat the mixture, whisking constantly, until the sugar has dissolved and the mixture is very warm to the touch, about 3 minutes.
– Remove the bowl from the saucepan. Using an electric mixer on high speed, beat the mixture until it is very warm and soft (but not dry) peaks form, about 4 minutes.
– Reduce the mixer to low and add the vanilla. Continue beating until the frosting is completely smooth, about 2 minutes more. Use right away.