Day 9: Olive Oil Cupcakes with Chocolate fudge icing & Sea Salt
Keith mentioned yesterday that I have not been giving enough love to chocolate. He also mentioned that his brother in law’s family (chocolate lovers) have become fans of the blog. Andres’ family has given us some amazing olive oil from their home over the past few years, so I wanted to combine the two for an extra special treat for them. Hope you enjoy!
Finding a solid simple straight up olive oil recipe was impossible. So, I made one up by taking my favorite yellow cake and adding high quality olive oil instead of the full amount of butter. The key to all of this is actually the garnish, drizzle really good olive oil over the frosted cakes and grind some sea salt over the top, it makes the party happen in your mouth.
Olive Oil Cupcakes
- 1.5 cups cake flour
- 1/2 tablebspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 butter, room temperature
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp orange extract (optional)
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
1. Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
2. In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
3. Cut up the butter into 1-inch pieces and place them in the large bowl of an electric mixer, fitted with a paddle attachment or beaters. Beat for 3 minutes on MEDIUM-HIGH speed until the butter is light and creamy in color. Stop and scrape the bowl. Pour in the olive oil and cream with the butter for an additional 1-2 minutes.
4.Add the sugar, 1/4 cup at a time, beating 1 minute after each addition. Scrape the sides of the bowl occasionally. Add the egg.
5. Reduce the mixer speed. Stir vanilla into the buttermilk. Add the dry ingredients alternately with the buttermilk. Mix just until incorporated. Scrape the sides of the bowl and mix for 15 seconds longer.
6. Spoon the batter into cups
7.Center the pans onto the lower third of the oven and let bake for 20 min.
Chocolate Fudge Frosting
- 3 1/2 oz semi sweet choc chips
- 2 tbs milk
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1-2 cups powdered sugar
Place the chocolate, butter and milk over a double boiler. Heat until melted
Pour into an electric mixer, beat in the powdered sugar. If it looks grainy, slowly pour in some milk until it begins to look smooth and shiny.
- 1/4 cup High Quality Olive Oil – the stronger flavor the better
- 2 tbs sea salt
Drizzle oil over frosted cupcakes and top with salt.