Day 16: Smores Cupcakes
This is the first recipe of the challenge that I’ve made before. I was inspired by the first episode of Top Chef All Stars. Their first challenge was to make a dish that they screwed up once before and improve it. So, here it is. I made these a few years back for Jess’ birthday. I thought they were a bit dry and not chocolatey enough. Upped the chocolate and added a new frosting.
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
Mix together flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt.
In an electric mixer, mix together sugar, oil, egg and vanilla until smooth. Beat in the flour and milk, alternating until mixed.
Stir in the Chocolate Chips
Divide into cups. Bake at 350 for 27 minutes.
- 1/2 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 2 tbsp butter
Melt butter and mix with graham crackers. Divide into the cups and press into the bottom.
- 8 large egg whites
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Place egg whites, sugar, and cream of tartar in the heatproof bowl of an electric mixer. Set over a saucepan with simmering water. Whisk constantly until sugar is dissolved and whites are warm to the touch, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Transfer bowl to electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, and beat, starting on low speed, gradually increasing to high, until stiff, glossy peaks form, 5 to 7 minutes. Add vanilla, and mix until combined. Use immediately.
Read more at Marthastewart.com: Marshmallow Frosting – Martha Stewart Recipes