Day 26: Wasabi Cupcakes with Green Tea Frosting
Had to go weird with it at some point. We had some great sushi last night at Umami, I guess I had wasabi on the brain this morning. I was expecting the flavors to be insane, but this is one of the more subtle cupcakes I’ve ever made. Its more sweet than tear inducing. Mainly its just a nice change from the normal vanilla cupcake. Or, you might end up in the hospital, maybe I just made it wrong. Curious to see what the ladies at the baked goods exchange think tonight.
Wasabi White Chocolate Cupcakes
makes 24 adapted from Cupcake Bakeshop
- 7 ounces white chocolate
- 3/4 cups (1-1/2 sticks) butter
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 6 eggs
- 1-1/4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons wasabi paste
1. Chop chocolate and transfer into the bowl of a standing mixer.
2. Add butter to the chocolate and place the bowl over a pan of simmering water. Stir until chocolate melts and butter is combined.
3. Remove from heat and stir in sugar. Note that when you add the sugar the mixture will separate and look pretty funky. This is ok.
4. Let mixture cool for 10 minutes.
5. Add the vanilla. Beat in an electric mixer for 3 minutes. Mixture will thicken and you should no longer see butter floating on the top.
6. Add one egg at a time, mixing for 10 seconds between each.
7. Sift the flour, baking powder, and salt into the mixture, return to the electric mixer, and mix until blended.
8. Add wasabi paste and mix until blended.
9. Scoop into cupcake cups 2/3s full and transfer to a 350 F oven. Bake for ~22 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean.
Green Tea Frosting
made enough for 12
- 1/2 cup butter
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- finely ground green tea to taste (i used about 1/2 tsp)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
Mix it all together until light and fluffy.