What says spring better than a margarita in a cupcake?
Ok, I’m sure there are plenty of things that signify spring better than a cupcake. But, lets just face it people are interested in drinking when its warm out. So, without further a do, this is my contribution to spring you lushes.
They are pretty comparable to a margarita, I’d venture to say I’d have more of these than actual margaritas. But I also have a blog about cupcakes, so I think we all know my preferences in life.
- 2 sticks (12 ounces) butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 lemon simple syrup
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature, plus 1 large egg white
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 3/4 cups flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons whole milk
- Grated peel of 2 limes, plus 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons tequila
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Line 2 cupcake pans with baking liners. Using an electric mixer, beat 2 sticks butter and the granulated sugar until creamy. Gradually beat in the eggs, egg white and oil. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and mix again.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and 1 teaspoon salt. In a large glass measuring cup, stir together the milk, 2 tablespoons lime juice and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract. On low speed, mix in one-third of the wet mixture, then one-third of the dry mixture. Repeat twice, ending with the dry mixture. Mix in the grated lime peel and tequila.
- Fill each baking liner about three-quarters full with batter. Bake until the cupcakes spring back when gently touched, about 20 minutes. Let cool completely, about 30 minutes.
- 4 sticks butter
- 4 tbsp crisco
- 4-6 cups powdered sugar (to taste and consistency)
- 7 tbsp tequila (also to taste)
- 4 limes zested and 1/2 cup lime juice
- Salt to taste about 1-2 tsp
- 1 tsp vanilla
- green food coloring
Using the electric mixer, beat the butter and crisco until creamy. Beat in 1 cup confectioners’ sugar. Beat in the tequila, lime juice, vanilla, lime peel, salt and the food coloring until smooth and creamy. Beat in the remaining confectioners’ sugar one-third at a time, until just soft enough to spread.
Garnish with lime slices, it took 2 limes for this