Independence reclaimed by eating copious amounts of sugar – Red White and Blue – Berry Cupcakes
- 3 cups (330 g) cake flour
- 1 tablebspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (8 ounces or 230 g) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 cups (454 g) granulated sugar
- 5 large eggs
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups (10 fluid ounces or 300 ml) buttermilk
- 1-2 cups frozen mixed berries with a few tablespoons of flour to toss them in
1. Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
2. In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
3. Cut up the butter into 1-inch pieces and place them in the large bowl of an electric mixer, fitted with a paddle attachment or beaters. Beat for 3 minutes on MEDIUM-HIGH speed until the butter is light and creamy in color. Stop and scrape the bowl. Cream the butter for an additional 60 seconds.
4.Add the sugar, 1/4 cup at a time, beating 1 minute after each addition. Scrape the sides of the bowl occasionally. Add the eggs one at a time.
5. Reduce the mixer speed. Stir vanilla into the buttermilk. Add the dry ingredients alternately with the buttermilk. Mix just until incorporated. Scrape the sides of the bowl and mix for 15 seconds longer.
6. Toss the frozen berries in the flower and fold into the batter.
7. Spoon the batter into cups
8. Center the pans onto the lower third of the oven and let bake for 20-25 min.
- 1 cup of butter
- 8oz cream cheese
- 2-4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla
- pinch of salt
- 1 carton Strawberries
- 1 carton blueberries
- 1 carton raspberries